Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Inconsistent Blogger

I have been blogging for the past three years. Oh, you haven't been following me? You mean you haven't been reading the many posts about my life? You haven't fallen in love with my family through the tons of photos? You didn't laugh right along with me as I wrote about my first experience of flying alone with a seven month old? You didn't sob tears of grief  when I told you of my stepson's fatal accident? In the past three years, we have moved, added a family member, and lost a family member, and many, many things in between. I've had lots to write about. I just haven't. I've wanted to, but haven't. 
     See, my problem is, I read blogs. I read everything, really. I am the person who reads the back of the cereal box at breakfast (over and over) just to have something to read. I still read the newspaper. I am usually in the middle of at least one good book, sometimes two or three, and I hate to be in between books. That's why I like blogs, they allow me to have something to read all the time and I love reading about other people's lives. Especially everyday, ordinary people.
     Unfortunately, reading blogs, has created an unreal expectation in my head of what my blog should be. First of all, my favorite blogs to read are the ones who post every day. In my mind, I have to post everyday. Now, I know that is a habit that only the best of bloggers can accomplish (and most get paid to blog) but I feel the pressure, nonetheless. 
     Then I feel like I should have something that is pleasing to look at. Of course, being an aspiring photographer ensures my blog will always have plenty of photos, but the graphic design part of my blog bugs me. I have to remind myself, "It's not about the design, it's about the stories." 
     I also have a romantic idea of me getting up early and blogging before anyone else wakes up. Just me, my computer, NPR's Morning Edition or JOY FM on the radio,and a cup of coffee. Well, let's see. I don't get to bed before 11 most nights, and I have a 20 month old daughter who likes to get up early...
     Well, I've decided to not be confined by my idea of what my blog should be and "just do it." That's really the only way. So, ignore my lack of design, and I can't promise I will post everyday. Most days, I will probably not post until the afternoon, when the house is nap time quiet. I still hope you join me whenever possible. I invite you to get to know me and my family and leave me a comment so I can get to know you.
Pull up a chair, I have some good stories to tell.

No comments: